View Single Post
Old 02-12-2009, 08:40 PM   #23
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Okay I lost my bet.
But you have to admit that there was an interest about that comment other than the "normal" use of aPple devices. That is what frustrates you, not the device itself.
Let me tell you a bit about my FIRST (and last) experience with Apple computers.

In 1986, I graduated with a BMath specializing in Computer Science and Accounting. I'm more computer geek, than accountant nerd, but, in 1984, one of my first co-op "jobs" was providing part-time IT support for my Accounting firm's newly acquired Apple Macintosh portable computers (with built-in B&W monitor). The firm was KPMG (or just Peat Marwick as it was called then), excerpt of that article follows:
Quote:
The prestigious accounting firm of Peat, Marwick Mitchell and Co. has ordered more than 2,000 Macintosh computers to be delivered in 1984.
My supervisor sat me down in front of the Mac computer without any manuals and said "familiarize yourself". Well, having used dos on work IBM PC's and home C64's, I thought, no problem.

Unfortunately, there was a problem. I found no way to open the disk in the drive. No way to launch the MacPaint or MacWrite programs which I was told to use. I just stared at that nice desktop for 10-15 minutes without getting "familiar" with it and moving the mouse around. Who knew, back then, about single-click or double-click (it was a single button mouse). Then, while frustrated to no end, I finally moved the mouse over the menu bar while clicking and the Mac world opened up to me! I could then open the disk, launch the software and even print. It's intuitive now to do all this stuff, but Apple's interface was designed for my accountant nerds more so than for us computer geeks.

Afterwards, I found 'ResEdit' and that made me somewhat happy to work with Macs again.

However, this typifies how I feel about Apple's hardware. No way to hack or get down and dirty, and that for me is frustrating, especially when I realize I'm a computer geek and should know this stuff, but don't/can't!

BTW, I've not been able to get any .epub's onto my wife's iPod Touch having run into problems with Cailbre/Stanza/wifi routers! Also, I gave up trying to force iTunes to show me the "fullpath filenames" of the .MP3's it imported so that I could go back and re-edit the tags. I mean, no access to any "techie" stuff! That's what puts me off!

Oh, I guess, some things are just not meant to be...

Last edited by nrapallo; 02-12-2009 at 10:58 PM. Reason: added links
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote