View Single Post
Old 04-10-2010, 09:20 PM   #39
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by akira28 View Post
The point is that no matter how fast slow e-ink screens can change it will always be many times slower than LCD. They will always flash to a disturbing black and with the last page remnants (at least from what I have observed with the Sonys, Kindles, and Nooks). They will have lower contrast in every lighting situation.

The battery life is not relavant since it is dependent on the manufacturers design incorporating the said LCD which is not the subject here. But the only current devices using this reflective screen are the Jetbook (Aluratek), rated at 20 hours continuous use (how many people really need more?), and the Jetbook lite, which has replaceable batteries and, assuming access to them, could extend usage beyond even the longest e-inker.

I agree with you about reading in the dark. I also think I'd rather read on my iTouch than deal with an attached light on my Jetbook.
I agree with you on the Sony, but on the Irex the page turns are so fast (except for very graphic intensive items like full newspapers) that any "improvement" would be lost on me. But as far as the battery goes, well I travel a lot. A long flight, several bus rides and the 15-20 hours would go by very quickly. Contrast is fine, sure if they had a device with 300-600 dpi.... And yes, I have to recharge my phone every 2 days, but if they had a phone with the same functions that could last for 2 weeks I would be all over it!
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote