View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013, 11:34 PM   #15
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: jetBook, ALP, Pandigital 7"Color(Black+ White), Kyros MID7015a
From what I understand KOBO's DRM and Adobe's DRM are different, hence you can purchase ebooks from KOBO without having an Adobe account. The Adobe account comes into play when purchasing ebooks from other epub vendors that support Adobe's ADE DRM.

In the USA Barns and Noble's EPUB DRM is different from ADE; therefore, epubs cannot be read using the other's DRM format.

E-readers that are assigned to the same accounts can access that accounts purchased ebooks.

KOBO only syncs ebooks that have been purchased through their online store. This means that any ebooks that have been transferred to your KOBO and not purchased through KOBO is NOT sync'ed to your KOBO account. In this case you do not need to worry about reading the same book as your partner at the same time. I am not sure if the reading stats for these books are kept.

You can also obtain non-DRM epubs in which case there is no authorization required (totally free access) in order to read them regardless of which DRM format is used by your e-reader as long as it supports epub.

Some people remove DRM off of their purchased e-books so as to free themselves of the danger of loosing access to their purchased ebooks through future changes in hardware/software support. (This has happened once with Adobe when they changed their encryption methodology). If you missed their deadline for end of life support you missed the chance of converting library.

My wife and I each own a Kobo Touch and GLO. All are tied into the same account both KOBO and ADE. As long as we are not reading the same book purchased from KOBO we do not have a syncing problem. On another note: I always keep our wifi off so as to not be forced into a firmware update that may have issues. If you want a new release you can always purchase it via another vendor and side load the book to avoid the firmware update. we are currently at FW 2.1.5 for all devices and by doing so we have avoided some of the pittfalls that some of the newer FW's have produced. Right now our KOBO touch's are our back up readers as the GLO is great for all lighting conditions.

Last edited by jlg432; 03-11-2013 at 12:12 AM.
jlg432 is offline   Reply With Quote