View Single Post
Old 05-26-2013, 12:14 PM   #1
Tongpu
Tongpu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Japanese conversion issue

Hello there.
Here's the matter:
I usually find novels in Japanese on html pages and I convert them using Calibre to read them on my Kindle 4.
But I have some problems using the Japanese-English dictionary:
- when I convert to .azw3, the cursor of my Kindle sometimes jumps several characters at a time, in particular if there are commas or full stops. It is like sometimes it understands where a word begins and ends, but sometimes it doesn't. (note: in Japanese there is no space between words.) So I can't always use the pop-up dictionary. But, on the 40% of the cases, the cursor does the right thing and stops at the beginning of the word.
- when I convert to .mobi, the cursor moves between the single japanese characters normally, but the result on the pop-up dictionary is just the translation of the first character. (In english it would be like: I want to know the meaning of the word "book", so I put the cursor just before the word and the dictionary recognizes just the letter "b" and gives me the meaning of "b". So I can NEVER use the pop-up dictionary.

I would like the cursor to move freely between words (or single characters) and recognize the entire words linking them to the dictionary.
I can't understand where the problem could be.
I don't think it is in the dictionary. It could be a conversion problem, but I couldn't test on original awz files because japanese amazon won't let me buy books because I don't live in Japan.
It could be a problem of the Kindle 4, though. I hope it's not.

Is there any conversion setting that could be useful to solve the problem?
Tongpu is offline   Reply With Quote