View Single Post
Old 05-31-2009, 07:58 AM   #4
Pangolyn
Enthusiast
Pangolyn began at the beginning.

Device: PRS700
I like my M-Edge cover--makes it look more like a book (well, a Bible or a DayTimer). I use the Sony Store just to install their free books and books purchased through their store (I think three books). I use Adobe Digital Editions to install books borrowed from our local library's online site, as well as other protected PDFs I own.

The rest of my books (100+) are managed by Calibre, which gives me a huge amount of control. I can crop PDFs using the Mac's Preview program, get all of the metadata online using its excellent metadata editor, even get the cover from the 'net. I can easily categorize books in a dead-reliable way, which was a major failure of the Sony software and its 'autosync' categories.

The screen is definitely not as nice as the 505 (and Kindle, presumably) but the touchscreen is so critical to navigation for me, as well as the built-in light for night reading, so I can give up the 20% or so loss of clarity. Sony readers have fantastic PDF support, and since most of my books are PDFs and the library's books are PDFs it was a no-brainer.

If I chose to get the 505 plus the light wedge and their cover that holds both it was almost the same price as the 700. That would have the option of flipping the wedge out of the way to have excellent clarity in normal lighting conditions.

Hope she loves it!
Pangolyn is offline   Reply With Quote