View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013, 05:21 PM   #12
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Hmm. It's gotten all slow and laggy since the update. When it works, which it only did for a few minutes in the first session after the update.

Tapestries is constantly crashing. (and is currently flashing as it tries to load and crashes instantly, not giving me time to open the app drawer or anything; powering down and rebooting did nothing to fix it. I can't even get into the app drawer to kill it or open Google Play to download an alternative launcher to use in the meantime)

EDIT: Managed to launch Google Play because Google Search/Now wants an update and had a card with a link to the store. It is a VERY evil update - one of the new permissions it wants is to be able to use the camera and record from the microphone WITHOUT USER INPUT. It even tells you outright that "This permission allows the app to record audio at any time without your confirmation." (note that the unupdated version doesn't need that permission to activate voice search from the lock screen) and "This permission allows the app to use the camera at any time without your confirmation." (there is NO legitimate reason for it to have such permission) Man, I wish I hadn't updated...

EDIT 2: And I see we're stuck with the phone versions of various apps, like the Settings being single-pane and the recent apps list centered and taking up almost the entire screen (with the icons being almost twice as large as before, so you see fewer).

EDIT 3: Managed to download and install an alternate launcher (Nova). Really sucks that I *HAVE* to do that in order to use my $230 hardware...

EDIT 4: Petty Jelly Bean complaints:

1) If you have multiple apps to do the same thing (such as web browsers), you now have to tap twice every time to select "Just Once" if you want to keep getting prompted, as opposed to the old way where it automatically prompted you every time until you checked the always-use-this-app box and would launch immediately when you tapped the app you wanted to use. :/ Very petty, yes, but also actually very annoying.

2) The clock and battery and wi-fi statuses are all tiny and hard to read up at the top of the screen, taking up half a centimeter of valuable real estate - and are part of Tapestries' problems, I'll bet - instead of being large and visible down in the now wasted space of the button bar.

3) The centering of the Back, Home, and Recent buttons means I can't comfortably reach them with my left thumb when in landscape mod, like I used to. Can just barely reach Back, if I stretch a bit painfully, but not Home or Recent (the latter of which, with stretching and pain, I can just barely reach with my right thumb). Yes, it is not good having to take one of my hands off the tablet in order to hit the buttons. It's not much better in portrait mode, BTW.

EDIT 5: Just noticed that now you have to go into the Settings -> Display -> Brightness in order to adjust the brighness, rather than just from the notifications area... (where I used to just tap twice to reach it; don't like auto-brightness, but now I basically have no choice but to use it :/) Same goes for toggling wi-fi on and off, though at least that toggle's on the main settings menu. And no way to toggle off notifications. Ugh!

*sigh* I really wish I hadn't updated since, of course, there is no way to roll back the change, even with a factory reset and losing (and then having to take an hour+ to reload) the 10GB of music & video I keep on there. :/

Last edited by JD Gumby; 03-21-2013 at 10:12 PM.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote