View Single Post
Old 12-04-2009, 06:34 PM   #4
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
I agree with BookishDreamer. No resume nor bookmarking, so just get yourself a cheap MP3 player that's well-designed for audiobooks. Cheapest are the Sansa
- Clip,
- Clip+ (adds μSD slot and fast and slow playback for audiobooks, but only accessible from Settings menu), and
- Fuze (adds 1.9" screen for video and pics, and adds fast or slow playback speed for podcasts and audiobooks and that setting is reachable from each podcast and audiobook, as well in the general settings [it also goes from mini-USB connector of the Clips to proprietary Sandsisk connector]).
I've seen the 2GB Clip refurbished for $20.

For these Sansas, there's one trick to get the resume function: You must put the audiobooks into the Clip's/Clip+'s/Fuze's "Audiobooks" folder (or podcasts into the "Podcasts" folder). If you're not dragging-and-dropping unprotected audiobooks (i.e., you're using a program to load a DRM'd audiobook), you have to interrupt somehow the loading into the default folder the program chooses, and make it load into folder "Audiobooks". For OverDrive audiobooks, during the OverDrive Media Console app's Transfer process, you come to a screen that says "Advanced Options...". Click that and alter the default directory from "\Music\..." to "\Audiobooks\..."

Clip and Clip+: really small. Fuze: a little bigger, I like its easily reachable fast-playback speed setting.

Last edited by jj2me; 12-04-2009 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Changed because Clip+ also offers fast playback
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote