View Single Post
Old 12-04-2009, 09:05 AM   #1
HomeSweetHome
HomeSweetHome began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505
k2 p2, mp3 (Knitting with the 505)

My 505 is a fabulous workhorse for carting around my collection of pre-copyright classic literature, but I've recently taken up the sport of knitting and would like to be able to keep my eyes on the stitches rather than the words.

Knowing that the 505 has "Audio" capability, the first few experiments in downloading music and books have been rather exasperating. Perhaps The Single Most Annoying Habit of my 505: It ignores file hierarchy and insists on placing all music titles in alphabetical order by song title. I truly expected it to handle an “album” just like a “book,” using the “song titles” as “chapter titles.” (((sigh))) I had such high hopes for the twenty-first century—LOL!

Music While You Knit, however, is not my top priority—I would much prefer to listen to audiobooks on my eReader. Is this possible? Aside from the same alphabetizing “feature” of the audio files, I have yet to download an entire audiobook without crashing the download process.

So, my questions include:
--Any foolproof sources for audiobooks that will work on the first go round? I’ve tried Audiofile, OverDrive, NetLibrary . . .
--What specific formats do I need to look for?
--How do I manage these files? Would storing these types of files on an SD card facilitate the process?

Feel free to direct me to information sources on this site, forums or wiki, although I have spent a few hours reading and skimming already, without much illumination. And, while I’m obviously a techy novice, don’t hesitate to use specific technological vocabulary—I’m married to a very clever, computer-guru-for-a-living sort of gentleman, who would love to see his bibliovore sitting quietly in a cozy chair surrounded by her earphone wires, yarn, needles . . . and softly mumbling, “knit two, purl two, knit two together . . . “

Danelle in Kansas
HomeSweetHome is offline   Reply With Quote