View Single Post
Old 09-07-2012, 01:01 PM   #76
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Different people have different interests. Many of my friends spend all their free time watching TV. Am I to be "pitied" because I prefer to read instead? It's simply a different interest. I think there's a little "intellectual snobbery" in the view that reading is somehow a "superior" hobby to other forms of entertainment. If you enjoy doing something, that's what matters.
+1

I know intelligent educated people who don't read (except what they need to for work). They seem quite happy and productive. I know people who only read "fun" stuff and nothing "serious" as they get enough of that in real life. I just want to have fun too, but for me that includes reading serious or difficult books. I'm sure other people feel sorry for me because I'm not capable of doing what they do. All the pity and/or scorn is quite unnecessary. In the end, it's your life.

The other thing to consider is people tend to get into different things at different points in their lives. Many loved to read when they were young, go away from it, then return to reading later on. As for dating, you can always turn a SO on to reading and they can turn you on to something else. Like mountain climbing . The main thing is is the sex hot?

Last edited by Barty; 09-07-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote