View Single Post
Old 02-15-2012, 04:00 PM   #479
deagol
deagol began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2345 View Post
are these updates for KDX or for K3 only?
Not sure if I get the question...

In fact these are no software update files at all. They are needed to generate a software upgrade package for k2/dx if you have a k3 kindle running 3.3. They are replacment files for Part 2 of yifanlu manual:
Code:
PART 2 - Creating the update

1) Copy the correct create_updater update file to the root of the USB drive of your host. Make sure to select both the correct model and the correct version. If your version is not listed, please upgrade the host.
        k3 = Kindle 3 Wifi + 3G US & Canada
        k3g = Kindle 3 Wifi + 3G Elsewhere
        k3w = Kindle 3 Wifi
2) Copy the "rootfs.img" file you obtained from the "output" folder of the client to the root of the USB drive of your host.
3) Run the update from the Settings menu.
4) After the update process is done, copy the "output" folder to your computer and keep it safe so you can always update to 3.X on the client even if you decide to restore in the future.
For Part 1 you use the normal files.

The package from yifanlu is used to generate a restore package for a k2/dx, which will "restore" the k2/DX to a (normally unavailable) 3.x version. (Of course you need a k3 kindle running the 3.x version as "source".)

Now all I've done to yifanlu's package was extending the version it will create a "restore" package for and upload the needed files for that here. It can be used update a k2/dx kindle to 3.x, if you only have a k3 with 3.3 running on it.

If you already have a 3.x version on your k2/DX kindle that's probably not what you want.

That said you can of course also update your k3 to 3.3 and create a new "restore" package with my files, at least if you still have the rootfs.img created during the initial upgrade to 3.x.
That would also install the 3.3 version on your k2/dx kindle. But it would "restore" the device - including a factory reset - to 3.3, not update it.

Hope that answers the question...
deagol is offline   Reply With Quote