View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013, 01:52 PM   #147
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai-Hulud View Post
Well in that case FYI the term was officially coined in 1801 when the parliaments of Ireland and England passed the "Act of Union" uniting the two kingdoms.

The term "United Kingdom" in my experience has been in common usage and interchangeably as far back as I can recall. Things and events that have reinforced usage have been the Northern Ireland troubles in the media, sporting events and such where we represent ourselves as the United Kingdom (just had a nostalgic cringe as I remembered "Jeux Sans Frontieres" there) and the fact it's stamped on the front of our passports. So common usage definitely predates the Internet and any potential American involvement

However I do think that the Internet has played it's part in making the use of "UK" reach greater prominence Worldwide simply by the expedient of being far easier to type/text
just to add to the confusion: in sporting events, you either have the individual countries (England, Scotland, Wales, NI), as for instance in football or snooker; or "team GB" if you talk Olympic games - no UK there...
paola is offline   Reply With Quote