View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 03:30 AM   #5
MartynB
MartynB began at the beginning.

Device: Viewsonic 7e
Replying to my own thread, research since my last post has added to the sum of my knowledge: -

The Viewsonic 7e uses Android 2.3 (Gingerbeard)
There is 4GB onboard memory
This memory is split 50/50 between system and user
Gingerbeard application (apparently) must specify whether or not they can be installed on additional memory (e.g. microSD card)
If this is not explicit in the application it must go into the 4GB (really only 2GB) onboard memory.
How many apps specify this before you (purchase and) download them? Few, I suspect.
The Kindle app can't be installed on the microSD and neither can its data (the books you buy.
Unless you want to keep archiving your books off the system it can't support many (the Kindle itself has 4GB devoted to the Kindle)

In summary, the lesson learned is that when you buy any tablet and it boasts that you can increase the storage to a huge amount ask yourself, "but how much of this will I be able to use in the real world?"

The answer in respect of my adding a 32GB microSD to my Viewsonic 7e is, "Probably about 1%.

Based upon what I've learned would I recommend this tablet?

It is gorgeous on form, has a fabulous screen but should have been shipped with the full 32GB - so no, I wouldn't recommend it.

Would I have bought it if I knew then what I knew now?

Absolutely not - my wife bought it as a present and, sadly, feels guilty. It's not her fault that the vital information was not provided at the point of sale so the device is being returned as unfit for purpose. A great shame.
MartynB is offline   Reply With Quote