View Single Post
Old 10-27-2006, 10:03 AM   #4
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by gseryakov
I found out what I missed: deleting. I can not delete files from reader. It should be supported by ebookusb.dll but not ebook.py. Have to do investigations: go to an XP machine and try to delete books with sniffing dll enabled. Or maybe igorsk just knows it...
I am sure igorsk could add an option to ebook.py to delete a file. There was no need for it for most of us, since we are using CONNECT, but I see how there could be need for an rm <file> command. Let's say we are playing with lbook.sh, and we want to try different stuff. We could then just do:
ebook.py put lbook.sh b:/lbook.sh
and reset (BTW, b: is the way to address the SD card in the Reader OS. Looks like it isn't mounted as a normal filesystem, but the DOS way of addressing is used?).

Once we found out what the results were, we can remove the shell script without taking the SD card out of its slot:
ebook.py rm b:/lbook.sh

We could even enhance our options by making a daemon type script checking on the background if a certain file is in, say, /tmp directory. We could then control the execution of needed commands by creating or removing this file.

At this time you still have an option to remove files, it's just a little bit roundabout, inconvenient.
(a) Don't put files into the local storage, use the SD card only.
(b) Make an lbook.sh script to remove files you want to remove. Update Rootfs per igorsk's instructions. Put the script on your SD card. Reset the Reader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gseryakov
The question is - should we trust people writing retail software "for XP only".
Yeah, why not? It is a stupid move on their part not to be compatible with other systems, but it's not necessarily evil. I think they already went above and beyond the usual Sony ways by making the device compatible with SD cards and using Linux instead of some proprietary OS, which noone would know how to hack into.

Last edited by porkupan; 10-27-2006 at 10:11 AM.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote