View Single Post
Old 11-21-2010, 10:54 PM   #4
BWhite
Connoisseur
BWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PSP, Palm TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by aagstn View Post
The thing to remember though is the iPad is a $500 minimum device. There is definitely room in the ereader market for a $250 and under color reader and I think B&N has a hit on their hands with the nookcolor. People wanting an iPad will buy an iPad, but I think there is a market for affordable color ereaders and I think B&N has a good chance to tap into it.

I think you will see just how right they were when Amazon launches their color LCD reader next year to try and stop B&N from stealing ebook market share away.
Well that is what I am getting it, though I did not put it in the original post. With color eInk now almost out in China (though the color is abysmal) and now two color LCD eReaders out before Christmas, which are obviously not being presented as PC's, the pressure is on in regards to the eBook Reading Device market.

I was searching my brain cells to fetch old memories and I vaguely recall the transition from Black-and-White laptops in the stores over to all Color laptops. As I remember you could not find a non-color screen on a laptop after nine months of transition; I think, the memory may be faulty. Sure a B&W eReader device will retain some advantages for a while, but my bet would be that those advantages will not be great enough for the B&W eReader device to hold on for another 24 months. In 24 months maybe one or two will still be around in Retail, the remainder will be toast.

So I am with you, Amazon is going to have to come out with something that displays some form of color, and will probably have to sacrifice some battery life to offer good color.

The iPad is a nice device, I have seen my Father's, but I tend to think of it as a mobile computer, so I think Amazon can ignore the iPad threat. What I can't see is there not being a color Kindle, of some kind, for sale come Christmas of 2011. Such a situation is too much a stretch of my imagination. And in four years I can't see a B&W Kindle still being offered at Amazon, though of course I could be wrong on this second prediction.
BWhite is offline   Reply With Quote