View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 03:10 AM   #12
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpublish View Post
Apple iBooks supports ePub 3, and I believe the Fire does also. Why wouldn't other companies jump on board? With all the multimedia support...it seems like a no brainer.
Quite simple, almost all e-ink readers cannot handle multimedia because of the screen and other elements (battery). I am actually glad they don't. I want to read a book, not be bothered by audio/video. I do see some merits of multimedia with specific types of books (childrens/cooking/academic (perhaps), etc) but not for the majority. I would have much rather have them fix other issues with the format first, as good support for footnotes, just to mention one.
The 'solutions' in ePUB3 for footnotes that I have seen so far do not impress me. A pop-up balloon? No, thanks.

Also, iBooks do not really support ePUB3, but their variant of it. In order to get things to work you need iBooks/web-kit specific things which will most probably not work on other ePUB3 readers. The same goes for their fixed-layout format. Also iBooks specific.

Last edited by Toxaris; 02-13-2013 at 03:15 AM.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote