View Single Post
Old 04-15-2008, 07:56 PM   #8
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
I think PDF files are grossly underrated as eBooks and not understood at all. PDF books can be fine eBooks.

If they are generated properly, PDF files can reflow to fit any screen size and you can zoom the text to make it as big (or small) as you want it to be. As I see it, the problem is two fold:

1) PDF files are often not accessible to smaller screens because the files were created without tags. Tags are a requirement or else the PDF file cannot be reflowed...Tags can be added to unprotected PDF files through Adobe Acrobat.

2) The PDF viewer software that is installed on many electronic readers do not make use of tags, so the PDF file cannot be reflowed.

I don't care so much about fonts and font sizes when I am reading. I care about being able to see text. I read PDF ebooks on my Pocket PC all the time. As long as the book can be reflowed to fit the smaller screen, I think PDF is as good a format for eBooks as any other format.

I am talking about books here, PDF journal articles are a whole different matter.

Last edited by ProfJulie; 04-15-2008 at 07:58 PM.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote