View Single Post
Old 05-12-2010, 06:54 PM   #6
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_bike_kite View Post
I believe some readers (Kindle,Nook) have 3G. Does this mean they can access the web from anywhere? Are there any restrictions or costs? Does it work in the UK? I must admit I love the idea of reading wikipedia etc on the move.

Will more readers have this in future or is the licensing too difficult to work out.

Mike
3G stands for 3rd Generation, which is a mobile phone standard. One of the important features of the spec is the modem speeds which can transfer data at about 400-500 Kpbs.

This applies to the Kindle/Nook in several ways, first at those speeds you can have you book delivered to you in a relatively short time. Second since it is a cell tower wireless solution this means that anywhere your phone has 3G access you Kindle will too.

Right not the only device that offers free 3G for browsing is the Kindle device. It has easy support for searching WIKI, google pages. And has a basic web browser. In my experience the browser is better suited for visiting mobile sites.

The Nook has free 3G but it only works when accessing their book store. To use the web browser on the Nook you have to use the WI-FI connection.

I can't answer how it works on the UK sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_bike_kite View Post
I must admit I love the idea of reading wikipedia etc on the move.

Will more readers have this in future or is the licensing too difficult to work out.

Mike
Truthfully this was one feature I wasn't too frilled about, until I used it. Then I realized this is a great feature to have esp since it is free.

I think you are going to see the gambit as we see today. There will be devices that have 3G as an option an those that don't One thing I believe we will NOT see is devices offering it for free.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote