View Single Post
Old 04-06-2009, 08:42 AM   #33
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
So if I use the originally listed technique - save the fonts to my Reader and put them in the CSS - what happens if I give a copy of the eBook to a friend whose Reader doesn't have the fonts saved? Bricked Reader? Crash/reset? Defaults to system fonts?

I looked at the Hounds of the Baskerville file, and it did display in my Reader as intended (pretty cool, actually). But I could imagine this could lead to much larger files...and is there any issue with using system fonts from my computer on eBooks distributed to others?
if the fonts specified in the css are not present on your liseuse, then logically it would default to the system fonts. i have not tried it, however i did try to use a second decorative font in one book ; the decorative font turned out not to work (i think it was just an incompatible font file ; not all fonts are created equal ), so the text was displayed in the regular font instead. i don't think it's possible to brick anything using css, and i'd be pretty surprised if it even caused a crash ; at the very worst you might have trouble reading the book or displaying it correctly, but i doubt even that would happen.

also, since you are not adding the fonts to every book, but only a few lines of code, it won't lead to much larger files ; that is actually one of the benefits of this method ; you just move the font files *once*, but you can use them on every book formatted to use them, whereas when you embed fonts you must embed all the fonts in each file, and that *does* lead to larger files.

as for the question of using system fonts from your computer for sharing books, don't forget that if the person you share with wants to use the same font, they must also have a sony 505 / 700, and they must install the fonts in the correct folder (otherwise, it will just use the default fonts). there are many fonts available which are free and can be distributed with no problem ; anyone using the same system as you (windows ?) would have access to the same ones.

alternatively, you can choose one of the many many quality free fonts available (many discussed here). some fonts are not free to be distributed (this is true of many commercial font foundries like adobe and linotype), but it's easy enough to find good free fonts that this shouldn't be a problem.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote