View Single Post
Old 02-03-2011, 05:20 PM   #107
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
Now that sounds reasonable. I had the same thoughts about creating a current reading list since the sort by most recent bugged me. This would probably be easy to implement (especially compared to supporting GUI customization - thank you for you example code!!! ) as the json file is simple to read and parse for this, and using the GUI I can add a field easily.
Cool, would be great to see the feature in, it's been one of the reasons I have held off trying it. Another has been waiting to see if you will release the GUI version avoiding the need for tweaks. Just on that, if you need any help let me know although I am sure if you got this far you just need time to get the rest done.

EDIT: Missed your v1.2 post with a GUI so you clearly got up and running, well done. Will take a look at it later.

BTW if you send me a PM with your email I will send you something I was thinking of posting on the "Introduction to plugins" thread. It is a full example plugin template for a "Foo Example" plugin with a gui configuration dialog, custom icons, JSON file, split file architecture etc. Basically a stripped down version of any of my recent plugins with a bunch of TODOs for what you need to change. I'd be interested in your feedback as to how useful it is. Not that I am in any way a Python guru to be suggesting to others how to write their code but the important stuff has come from other developers who do know what they are doing
Quote:
The issue with fully integrating the collections would mean reading files, parsing pathnames, etc. I know this code exists in one of the collection scripts so it could be done - I just haven't been interested in doing it yet.
I can't blame you for not rushing into that drama of merging with existing collections I think a warning on screen could be sufficient. So if you find a collection on the preserve list conflicts with what you have created, tell the user that "your" collection will overwrite the Kindle one unless they Cancel and rename the one on the Kindle itself and update their preserve list. One day you might support merging the two but I think that is a complication that is not required - I think it is a "reasonable" limitation that if I have a collection say for an author that all those books must be in Calibre.

Last edited by kiwidude; 02-03-2011 at 06:00 PM.