View Single Post
Old 09-18-2012, 02:17 AM   #18
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
The problem with drop-caps, is that they require some individual tweaking, and that's only effective if you know the exact font, font size and page size... which goes against the ebook philosophy. Without font embedding and fixed layout, all solutions are only good-enough, and sometimes that's not enough.
I will certainly not argue with the fact that a successful dropcap implementation requires extra care and tweaking, including knowing the exact font used. I am not so sure why it would require a fixed layout even if it's true that a standard EPUB, with its ragged (non justified) text is not the nicest format to go along with drop caps.

But why argue about "ebook philosophy"? This is maybe going a little too far. After all, one of the features of EPUB3 is to allow a fixed layout for enriched texts. So, I cannot see why dropcaps should be condamned for philosophy or principle reasons. They are part of the game. Ragged text will disappear from the EPUBs of tomorrow long before the dropcaps do.

Further, two more twoliners exemples coming from a printed book with the "unaccceptable" Q behaviour (Q is often very tricky...) and a drop cap with a previous quote mark.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lettre M avec guillemet.png
Views:	176
Size:	296.5 KB
ID:	92536   Click image for larger version

Name:	Q dropcap.png
Views:	199
Size:	380.2 KB
ID:	92537  

Last edited by roger64; 09-18-2012 at 03:00 AM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote