Thread: Some regrets..
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2014, 04:59 PM   #1
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
Some regrets..

Years ago I bought my wife a nook for Valentine's day. This was the original nook with the LCD on the bottom and I shelled out $259 for the thing. Yikes! I did this for 2 reasons:

1. Time crunch did now allow me to order a Kindle and get it in time
2. Unlike the Kindle, I could walk into Barnes and Noble and actually use the thing.

My wife loves the hell out of her nook. So much so, that she wanted to get me one for my birthday the following year. At the time, the Kindle 3/Keyboard had just come out and it had the faster eInk pearl display. I knew what she was up to, so I hinted around about a Kindle.

And it showed up first week in September.

I love the Kindle. I like it better than the nook. Not that the nook is a bad device. It's a great eReader. But there are definitely things B&N does which annoys me about it. Like how they segregate purchased content from side-loaded content. And it took B&N a while to get Shelves, so your books were not a long list, but were grouped.

My wife's nook broke at one point and I let her use the Kindle while the kids and I plotted to get her a Kindle instead. I liked the idea of doing all purchases from one account.

After a few days she told me she liked the nook better, but fully admitted that the only reason she liked it better is because she used it first and was familiar with it. So, we broke down and got her a Nook STR.

Fast forward about a year, and the Kindle 3 screen cracks and I decide to buy a Paperwhite. I, of course, let my wife use it for a week, and she still insisted that she was used to the nook and preferred to use it. So, Mother's Day comes around and we proceed to get her a nook glowlight, which she loves.

So, I've doing a lot of work with Calibre and Aprentice Alf's plugin, decrypting books and converting AZW3 to ePUB and vice versa.

Looking back on the start of all this, I wish I had just ordered the Kindle 2 for my wife. That way we'd be on the same platform.

Does anyone else have 2 different brands of eReader in the family?
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote