View Single Post
Old 10-21-2008, 12:50 AM   #90
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsgreer View Post
Yeah, the scooter thing is still pretty weird in these parts. But they are becoming more popular each year.
Same here. I used to get a lot of quizzical looks. Though that might have less to do with the moped than the dorky helmet. You can see pix of my wife and me on our 'peds in this old blog entry.

Quote:
Co-workers stare at me as I read e-books and brag that I know the guy who wrote the best BSG novel.
Funny, Spider Robinson told me that he couldn't convince his neighbor down the road--the actor who plays Saul Tigh!--that he was a BSG fan until he waved my book in front of him.

Quote:
Now to get sorta back on topic so I don't get yelled at--I downloaded your books and two friends asked about it and I sent them to your site as well.

This may have been discussed before on these forums, but I couldn't find anything, so I'll ask for this thread:

Do you think that your "author embracing e-books" strategy has really helped get your name out there, or is the e-book industry still too new to tell?
I appreciate the referral, for sure. As for the success of the strategy, I guess I'll know when the new book has been out for a while. I can say this: there have been 15-20,000 ebook downloads from my site since I put the free books up, so for sure I've gotten my name back into circulation to at least some degree. The question is, will it translate into sales? I hope so, but that remains to be answered.

I will note that the preponderance of downloads being in PDF format suggests to me that the majority of people downloading are not dedicated ebook readers per se, but maybe people who are edging toward reading books that way.

Quote:
By the way, I was surprised that you mentioned that your BSG book didn't sell well--it had way higher reviews than the other BSG books.
Actually, my understanding is that none of them sold very well, which is probably why Tor didn't continue the series. Mine was the only novelization; the others were spinoff originals. My friend Craig Gardner wrote one of them. He and I live in the same suburb of Boston, and for a short time, our town had a monopoly on BSG novels. It did not gain us control of the world, however. The lack of commercial success of books tied to a very popular series led me to wondering whether the time of the tie-in novel as a form might be fading. There are just so many other ways now for people to relive or enhance the experience of a TV show or movie, there's not as much reason to go pick up a book if what you want is the visual experience. That's just my speculation, though.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote