View Single Post
Old 10-03-2008, 03:38 PM   #79
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
If you are going to be giving away the book (digital version) and TOR is going to sell it... why would people buy it if it was also available for free? Formats not withstanding? Personally, if I wanted to sell and eBook or my publisher did, I wouldn't be giving it away also.
Bob, I understand that point. But for me, the larger point is, what will best promote sales of the print book? Tor's having an ebook on sale is great, for avid ebook buyers. But it's not going to do much to promote the hardcover. No one's going to buy an ebook to see if maybe they might like the hardcover. But anecdotal evidence suggests that people might well download a free copy, and if they like it, go out and buy the paper book.

The fact that so many people download PDFs in a format that does not read easily on a small device suggests to me that this is what many people do.

Yes, giving away the ebook for free might cost me some paid ebook sales. But I'm hoping that increased visibility for the treebook will more than compensate for that.

It's all guesswork at this point. But I don't think Tor would have given their blessing to it if they thought it was going to cost sales in the long run.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote