View Single Post
Old 11-21-2010, 05:21 PM   #2
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
McQuivey is a pretty sharp guy, and I concur there isn't any "magic" in paper. He is also correct to a certain extent about the likely contractions in brick & mortar retail.

However, I do think paper has a few significant differences from other media, notably music and video; namely, those have always required an intermediary device. It isn't a big leap to go from a CD to an MP3. It also isn't a big leap for VHS to DVD, though the relatively small leap from DVD to (legit) downloaded movies is a big mess.

Paper books, on the other hand, have never required an intermediary device. So, that's a whole new layer that people don't associate with reading.

Plus people tend to consume a lot more music or video than read; those are relatively untaxing endeavors. The necessity for an intermediary device is lessened when you only read a handful of books every year.

So, we'll see how this works out, but I think it's going to be more than 5 years before ebooks become the "driver" of the book industry.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote