View Single Post
Old 03-01-2011, 12:47 PM   #104
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
I can't live without DVR - but even a TivoHD or Premiere can be had with lifetime service if you want to avoid the monthly fee. DVR is worth the fee to us. We've been on basic cable for 2 months now for $20/mo plus the Tivo fee ($11/mo). I'll probably put up an antenna in the springtime and see about paying yearly for the Tivo ($99/yr). The only thing I miss is Comedy Central.
I have a TiVo also. I just bought life time service for it. I am sure I will have it for at least 3 more years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Unless you're satisfied with 3 channels only (the three national channels), I guess you could do with a digital receiver only. But, remember, we don't have that many pay-per-view internet thingies.
Actually, I get about 15 channels OTA with my antenna. As I said 99% of what I watch is on the 4 major networks, ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox. So, if that is all I could get I would be fine.

But, the main point of this thread an "cutting the cable" is that there are many more ways to get content, even if you are paying for it, you can be paying less. But, as you said, in different countries there are different things available. Also, your cable service sounds a heck of a lot cheaper that service in the US.

I know some people that don't even watch broadcast or cable TV. 100% of their viewing is Netflix DVD's via mail. You can get a lot of TV shows via Netflix too. Granted, it is probably a year or so after it is broadcast.

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 03-02-2011 at 10:54 AM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote