View Single Post
Old 06-08-2013, 10:32 AM   #1289
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
That new Sony Vaio Duo 13 looks like the best laptop/tablet combo available at the moment, with the new processors and 10 hours battery life.
I had bought the Sony Vaio Duo 11 ca. 4 months ago.
Reviews had been quite favorable: Great display, good enough keyboard, stylus.
I didn't like it. It's the only gadget I ever gave back.
a.) I didn't like the fan noise. It more or less was constantly on. On Microsoft Surface Pro for example it's way less frequent.
I had considered to go for the bigger one instead: i7 instead of my i5. The sales guy told me (couldn't test it though, they don't have i7 on stock), fan would be even louder on that. My thought was: More powerful = less load = less fan noise. But, given the sales guy's description, the opposite seems to be true: More powerful = more heat, no matter what load.
b.) I didn't liket the form factor. As an ultrabook, it's nice. But as a tablet, I found it almost unbearable. The display is smaller than the lower part with the keyboard. If you slide the display over the keyboard, to use it as a tablet, it's not a homogenous "block", but kind of a pyramid. If you look at it from the side, there are a few "steps" from the keyboard to the display and the display itself is trapezoid form.
c.) There are "feet" at the bottom of the keyboard. For a notebook, this makes sense: Better air circulation. But in tablet mode, how to hold it? If you hold it in your hands, you've got the "steps" and the feet in the back. If you lay it flat, the angle isn't right.

Basically, I found it a great design study, but of not much use in daily operations (although I only had it for maybe 3 hours).

I looked at the Toshiba Satellite U920 then.
I prefer the sliding mechanism and the design over all.
But its display is only 1366 x 768 and of low(er) quality. And the keyboard felt and looked "cheap".

In theory, the concept is great.
But in real life, I haven't seen the right hybrid for me yet.
So I eventually decided for the Surface Pro. Not the perfect keyboard. But I favor tablet mode anyway. And here it's way more comfortable and less bulky of course than the hybrids.

Last edited by mgmueller; 06-09-2013 at 07:14 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote