View Single Post
Old 06-17-2011, 08:40 PM   #7
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I tried PRS+ on the 505 and found that the user style sheet overrode what was in the CSS for the eBook and thus, was not all that useful because I was unable to override the user style sheet in the ePub.
Your description isn't very clear, but a lot depends on what level you apply the style. I use a 505 with the PRS+ and set everything at the topmost level (the html tag).

For instance, I set Minion as my default font with the following:
Code:
@font-face {
       font-family: "Minion";
}
... all the necessary directives
html {
	font-family: "Minion";
}
This means that any ePub with an embedded font will display that font correctly as long as it applies the tags at the body level or below (which is almost always the case).

Since, in the vast majority of cases, I rip off the DRM and wrangle the css garbage inside the ePub into something that's readable, I don't have much need for the !important overrride. But it's useful for those who don't want to do that all the time.

[edit: BTW, a line-height of 1.04em is WAY too small unless you're using a font with a ridiculously small x-height and then blowing it up. You really want 1.2em at least to get optimal readability. Cramming all the lines together may sound like a good way to get more text on the screen, but it's not really a good idea.]

Last edited by charleski; 06-17-2011 at 08:44 PM.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote