View Single Post
Old 02-27-2011, 09:12 PM   #14
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: HTC 10, Asus Phonepad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post

I have read El amor en los tiempos del cólera...it's one of the few titles of García Márquez I don't recommend
Say it isn't so!

While I think there's a good case for not being enthused with either Florentino or Fermina, I think the multi-faceted discussion about love that is presented in this novel should transcend the characters' shortcomings--even with the doctor, whom I merely thought was okay. The novel focuses on all aspects of "love", both good and bad. Sadly, Florentino is the one used to discuss most of these as his character is the freest, regarding both convention and time--but he's also the emptiest because of it. If you look at his character apart from the "love" incidents, he's really not that bad of a guy. Don't hold him too responsible, as I think García Márquez is just using him to discuss all the things that people in general do in the name of love--it's just that it's so heavily concentrated with Florentino's character. You'd have to be pretty creeped out by humanity as a whole as to be creeped out by Florentino.
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote