View Single Post
Old 08-10-2014, 11:43 AM   #6
LeighC
LeighC began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Hello Kovid

I've only just joined mobileread, so have only just seen this thread.

I have the some query/objection as m4mmon, only my concern is not file sizes, but rather that when I click on an endnote I like to see the list of all later endnotes, so I can note the ones I will want to click on when I get to that point in the text, rather than clicking on every one and finding that most of them don't tell me anything important.

So in that sense I disagree with your long answer at 11.34am on 15 Aug 2013. But if I've understood your short answer in the same post, there's nothing I can do about it. Is that right? I found that doing what you suggested in your post at 1.08pm on the same day didn't put the endnotes into one long list; each endnote was still on its own page. It may have reduced the file size - I didn't check that. But it didn't take out the page break before each endnote. That is presumably what your short answer meant.

Finally, I actually want to see the list of endnotes on a Kindle DX, so I need that to happen in a MOBI file. Should I assume that there is no way of achieving this in a MOBI file?

This is arguably the downside of using an e-book reader: on my original Word file the endnotes were in fact footnotes, so (a) you can read them at the same time as you read the text, (b) there is no need to click on the footnote then click to go back to the text, and (c) you can see at a glance whether you want to read each footnote or not. I appreciate that on an EPUB or MOBI file footnotes have to become endnotes, but the nearest way (IMO) for the endnotes to to be used as if they were footnotes is to see the list of future endnotes when reading the endnote whose number you have just clicked on. Perhaps you would disagree!

Thanks in advance for your help. I hope you see this post!
LeighC is offline   Reply With Quote