View Single Post
Old 11-14-2013, 03:14 AM   #23
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
@Jellby -- yes, I always keep the full-size source AND the down-sized source in uncompressed format -- In my case, PSP's native proprietary multi-layer format (which are not editable or even openable in any other software that I have investigated) and in uncompressed 24-bit png. I am now making sure to also keep a backup on another drive, after a data-loss disaster earlier this year -- no backups, and lost weeks and weeks of work, but my own stupid fault -- the first time I have lost data like that *ever* in almost 30 years of computing.

I am intrigued by ImageMagik for post-processing, but it sounds like you have to know a lot about formats and compression levels to use it to its full capacity. I will have to search for a good tutorial. (Even though I always have to keep a cheat-sheet for CLI programs, the switches fall right out of my memory in 5 minutes.)

@derangedhermit -- I will whomp up a few samples to post tomorrow. I like your thinking about large image dimensions, but after reading so many posts about shaving 5 kb off an image, or reducing an epub by 350 kb, it feels like there are lots of folks out there who are still very much concerned about file-size. I even remember a post from a member that their reader is not strong enough to handle images at all, so must only download unillustrated books.

I also need to see how my Sony reader handles scaling for very large resolutions. I know that Sony Reader app for PC does not do very well, and ADE looks pretty poor as well. But ADE doesn't handle images well in my opinion, they always look pixilated even when they are displayed at native resolution.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote