View Single Post
Old 07-31-2014, 03:54 PM   #1
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Format shifting now legal in the UK

I doubt it makes much practical difference, since many people assumed it was legal anyway, and circumventing DRM isn't allowed. All that said, I'm happy to see this change, because I think it's reasonable to want to format shift, and reasonable activities shouldn't be illegal.

Quote:
The exception is limited to personal use of lawfully obtained originals, and does not allow any sharing of the works, including with close family members.*It also does not allow for the removal of any anti-copy technical protection measures, including those found on most DVDs and Blu-Ray discs. Given most media consumption is moving to a pure digital environment constrained by such measures, it remains to be seen how effective the new right will be in practice. How many people will be ripping CDs in ten years time?
https://www.openrightsgroup.org/blog...ar-last-hurdle
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote