View Single Post
Old 03-21-2014, 06:12 PM   #19
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfy View Post
I am not well acquainted with the kePub format, so I would have a couple of questions:

- Why do you actually need a Kobo reader? Isn't just a question of proprietary software? In which case I'm wondering if the Sony readers will get updated for it...
You're right, it's the firmware (proprietary software that runs the device) that renders kepubs, so it could in theory be ported to any other device. The reason for kepub primarily seems to be have been that it is closer to an epub 3 renderer and allows proper vertical line display (i.e. Chinese/Japanese) which for Kobo were an important market.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote