View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 06:58 AM   #106
Matthew Standley
Matthew Standley shares his or her toysMatthew Standley shares his or her toysMatthew Standley shares his or her toysMatthew Standley shares his or her toysMatthew Standley shares his or her toysMatthew Standley shares his or her toysMatthew Standley shares his or her toysMatthew Standley shares his or her toysMatthew Standley shares his or her toysMatthew Standley shares his or her toysMatthew Standley shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle 2 Int'l / Kindle Paperwhite (using Japanese/English)
Thank you for making Calibre available.

Kindle 2 Int'l (UK Amazon account) / Kindle-PW (Japan Amazon account)

Calibre 0.9.8 OSX.

First
I tried to use Calibre 0.7.28 (another person's computer) to put these files on my Kindle PW:
1. mobi files from my PC.
2. azw (I assume) purchased book files from my Kindle 2 Int'l, via "save to disk".
I had the same problems as mentioned above, then I found this forum and read the above posts.
I reset the Kindle-PW.

Second
Reregistered Kindle-PW.
Downloaded 4 dictionaries.
Kindle-PW now contains 4 dictionaries / User's guide, Set-up guide / Welcome book.
Using Calibre 0.9.8 OSX / Kindle-PW setting: do not use sub folders.

Sent purchased ".azw" book file (Amazon UK on Kindle 2 Int'l) to Kindle-PW.
Result: "This item cannot be opened because it is licensed to a different user"
NOT a DRM hack request.
Pointing this out for other disappointed users. Old purchased books are no good on a new device with a new Amazon account. Anyone know if Amazon would help with this?

Sent ".epub" to Kindle-PW.
Result: Book appears in "all items" and "books", list and cover views, book opens.

Sent ".mobi" to Kindle-PW
Result: Book appears in "all items" and "Docs" (Personal), list and cover views, book opens.

Sent ".azw3" to Kindle-PW
Result: Book appears in "all items" and "books", list and cover views, book opens.

** Sent 5 ".mobi" files at once to Kindlle-PW.
** Result: Failure
"My Items" = 0 in both cover and list views.
"Books" = 0 in cover and list views.
"Docs" = 4 in cover and list views. However, there are 6x ".mobi" files / 1x azw3 / 1x pub in total actually on the device, plus the downloads from Amazon.

4 out of 6 mobi files, and zero other files now show on the kindle screen.
All above mentioned files still show on the Calibre screen.

Removing all mobi files restores normal functionality to the Kindle - the .azw3 / .epub / Amazon downloads are now visible on the Kindle screen again.

As I experiment more with this, I will continue to update this post or add others if updating is not possible / follow advice from other users or Kovid Goyal.
Matthew Standley is offline   Reply With Quote