Thread: ANN: Navigator
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012, 09:37 PM   #27
MrWarper
Zealot
MrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it is

Device: I'm an iRex man: 8x DR1000S, 4x DR800SG, 4x DR800S
Hi everyone. I've been playing with this a couple of days as advised by Iņigo and here's my thoughts.

-I maintain my library via a computer and I just copy stuff to my readers for, well, reading and proofreading with annotations, etc. so I don't need the metainfo edition stuff (read: I won't work with it a lot, ever) but I think it is very cool, almost exactly what I'd dream of if I needed it. Good job!
-I mostly navigate the folder hierarchy in my SD card or go directly to recent/last folders so the streamlined UI would be perfect for me if Navigator were integrated on DR800+/MackxPatch and could be launched at system startup, effectively replacing CTB. Currently I have to open 'shortcuts' and launch Navigator, while I am just one tap away from 'navigating' via CTB upon boot...
-Granted CTB wastes a lot of screen space, but Navigator's font is too small and I don't need to cram so much info on the screen anyway. I'd prefer the font size to be selectable.
-If file names include the extension, the 'type' column is kind of redundant. Wouldn't it be better to take extensions off the file name column so there's a little more space for long titles, and put a small question mark (or whatever) on the type column next to 'unknown'/unregistered extensions/types?
-I rarely need to look at timestamps, others won't need extensions. What about some dialogue box to specify what columns to show, and in what order?
-It would be very nice to know what files are [not] annotated.
-The zebra-colouring of the table certainly improves readability, but it would be better if it were white-and-grey instead of grey-and-greyer.
-Make more conspicuous the column destined to select files for multi-file operations.

I know Iņigo says he is mostly off DR development now, but iRex is dead anyway, so this still looks like our fattest chance to see improvements some day... ; )
---

On a different note -- @rvs, you say you modified the font used by CTB to save screen space. Would you mind explaining how you did it, or linking to a how-to?

Last edited by MrWarper; 09-24-2012 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Wording
MrWarper is offline   Reply With Quote