View Single Post
Old 08-13-2010, 06:26 PM   #2
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToBuy View Post
I am considering buying an iPad and have heard so much about the glare and it's strain on the eyes. Those of you who have one, is the glare really a strain for long-term reading? Is is truly easier to read on eInk?
There's already been some iPad glare discussion here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88694

Personally, I don't notice the glare or get eyestrain when reading on the iPad. I read digital manga (i.e. b&w comics from Japan) 2-3 times per day for at least 30 mins per sitting. I also have a Kindle DX, but haven't touched it since I got my iPad. Imho the eink screen is easier to read standard books on, but you can't beat the ease of use of an iPad for non-standard book reading. For me with manga, being able to instantly pinch to zoom, keep my collection nicely organized, view the occasional color page in all its glory, and being able to make full use of the screen greatly outweigh the eink of the DX.

So a big factor should be what you intend to use an ereader for. If you want something purely for standard books, I recommend an eink device. If you want an ereader for anything other than standard books (manga, comics, technical docs, etc.) then I recommend an iPad, even with its lcd screen.
lilman is offline   Reply With Quote