View Single Post
Old 07-14-2010, 07:55 PM   #6
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Scott wrote on his blog:

1. You will be able to get millions of titles instantly. Well, probably not at the same time, but you will have easy access to almost every worthwhile book ever printed. No trips to the store, no waiting for UPS, no special orders. Of course, you’ll still be able to browse the dusty shelves of used bookstores if that’s your thrill, because those books will be around a few hundred years.

See, that's what lending libraries are for. It might not be "millions of titles instantly" but most of us can't read more than a few at a time, spread over a week or two. And, it's "free" -- paid for in taxes. Incremental cost: just transit fare to borrow and return. And, the net -- amazon.com or gutenberg.com or my public library and overdrive any combination of sources -- offers a much larger collection of "circulating" books (paid or free) than most local libraries, except for large cities.

2. You will be able to carry a couple of thousand books on your e-reader at any given time. I made a deliberate decision to pass up a paper book on my recent vacation simply because it would be one extra item to carry and keep up with. I had books on my computer, which was going with me no matter what. Yet I still keep a hardcover by my bedside for those cozy moments of leisure.

On vacation, I used to lug around a half dozen books. Now, with a Kindle 2i, I can bring a few dozen -- enough to suit any mood. And, on a single charge for a two week holiday. (I tried that and it works.) I have no need for a hard cover edition to feel cozy (I have a husband for that!). Too many books is too many choices: but one e-reader beats a suitcase full of paperbacks ... just in case the mood strikes (not to mention customs officers' dirty looks!)

3. You will be able to interact with the content in ways impossible with a fixed-type paper book. Because users can control the text size and other features, those with vision problems can finally optimize the type size. The ability to adapt, bookmark, highlight, and even alter the text will rapidly become an adventurous part of the reader experience. Yet the traditional paper version will still be around, because most books are quality products and paper has a long lifespan.

One of the best things about e-readers is the ability to vary the font size depending on lighting and how tired I am. Plus, my Kobo is lighter / easier to hold than most books. I can't highlight, but then, I am old school and never write in a book. But I am considering that endeavour with the Kindle 2i -- sharing favourite passages that make me laugh out loud, for instance. And, with 3G, I can share on the beach!

4. The prices will fall dramatically once the various market sectors settle down. Judging by the cost of music and movie downloads, your favorite new titles should probably cost no more than a few bucks. That development is still a few years away, but paying only for content means you have less infrastructure to support and fund. But just as you can choose the $25 hardcover instead of waiting for the used 25-cent paperback, you can wait until the e-book hits your favored price point.

I'm not convinced prices will "fall dramatically". The only thing that seems to go down is my annual disposible income, thanks to every increasing taxes and inflation. I have lots of paperbacks on my shelves marked 65¢ ... and more recent ones at $19.95. I'm not convinced books, or e-books, are going to suddenly get cheaper. I do think it is idiotic to price e-books relative to hard covers but I guess that's why I am not a publisher. I do look forward to the day where I can buy Erle Stanley Gardner Perry Mason novels for a fee somewhere in line with the price points Gardner (who died in 1971) was familiar with ....
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote