View Single Post
Old 05-16-2007, 04:32 PM   #78
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
The reason for using ZIP (or RAR) is not really for compression; it's more due to the fact that it's a file extension "known" to web browsers, mail gateways, etc. I quite often download stuff from work, and e-mail it to myself at home. Our corporate mail gateway (along with many other virus scanners) will remove any attachments that it considers to be potentially dangerous. ZIP goes through just fine - LRF gets stripped off as potentially risky. ZIP is by far the safest way to "package" an attachment, regardless of compression. It's only a couple of mouse click to unzip it on a Windows system.

Another reason I personally ZIP all my books is that in the LRF I use file names with spaces, but I replace the spaces with "_" in the ZIP.

Eg "The Old Man in the Corner.lrf"

but:

"The_Old_Man_in_the_corner.zip"

Some systems have problems with filenames with spaces in them.
I never knew the LRF extension was used for other things. So yeah it makes sense then to ZIP them.

Quote:
I really think you're going a little far in dictating formatting requirements to people who create books . They are giving up their time (and it takes a fair few hours to create a nice book) to create these books, and they are formatting them the way that they personally think is good. If you want a book formatted to your exact requirements, the answer is to do it yourself .

I happen to share your preference for no blank lines betwen paragraphs, but that's just my personal preference. If someone wants to upload a book which has blank lines between the paragraphs, I'll still be grateful to them for that.

It's not always a trivial job to remove blanks. It depends on the source format.
It really isn't that much of an effort to strip the extra lines using word (IMHO). But one thing I shall be doing for the next book I convert will also be to post the BD source so others can see how it looks and maybe it'll help with learning to use BD. Plus it also means if someone wants to change how I've done something, he/she can easily do so. No, I'm not trying to dictate how things be done. Only suggesting. There is an option in BD for adding a line space between paragraphs when making the LRF. So I was thinking that was what was being used in the books that have line spaces. And in that case it's just a matter of not selecting it when writing out the book.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote