View Single Post
Old 01-23-2011, 08:36 AM   #3
ringerc
Enthusiast
ringerc is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo
Yep ... I've seen Kobo reps monitoring these forums, and am hoping one of them will stumble across this. They seem remarkably open as a company, with friendly and even funny reps and press releases, so it's far from hopeless.

In any case, my immediate need has been solved by popping my Kobo Wifi open, unscrewing the board to gain access to the back of it, removing the MicroSD card and taking a disk image of it via a MicroSD adapter on my laptop. The Kobo was easier to open than I expected; all I had to do was gently pop the outer bezel off the catches all around the edges then gently separate it from the soft glue binding the bezel to the eInk display. The mainboard is just held in by four screws that, once removed, let it be gently lifted up and out. Reinsertion isn't any harder. Nice device. Anyway, now with luck I'll be able to boot off the external SD (by holding down enter during power-on) and test modified firmwares that way. An official image would still be VERY handy.

What I need more, now, is info on the development environment. The version of gcc used, any abi-affecting flags programs were compiled with, and the Qt configuration would be particularly handy. I can probably dig the details out with analysis of the firmware image, but it'd be much nicer and faster not to have to - which may matter if the Kobo folks have any interest in customers going beyond device testing and into writing plugins/enhancements/bugfixes they can incorporate in future versions.
ringerc is offline   Reply With Quote