View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 04:17 PM   #4
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidyboyd View Post
Thanks for the reply Robko much appreciated, ill probably go for the larger one in that case although it does raise a question for me, why is a smaller 6inch screen too small dont the ereaders just reflow the text to a manageable size anyway?

I don't suppose you have much experience of using an ereader without the new backing backing lights like the ones on the i62 or the kindle paperwhite? Is using an external light intrusive to reading? Sometimes I'd like to read in the dark and spending 300+ euro on something that I can buy for a third of the price for me has to tick all the boxes
If your pdf's are not in A4 format (21 cm page width) but smaller, say about 16-17 cm, then you can read them relatively comfortably in landscape mode (12 cm on 6" readers) after removing white margins.

Removing white margins on e-ink readers (zooming completely in) is not the easiest thing to do though, especially for scanned pdf's.

If you buy Kindle then you can install kindlepdfviewer thereon and easily crop or zoom scanned pdf's.

There is kindlepdfviewer for kindle 3 keyboard and kindle dx and version for kindle 5 and Paperwhite launched a few days ago called KOReader.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=209276

So if money is an issue and stylus is not indispensable to you, then you might consider buying used kindle dx and wait for some good offer of used M92/Icarus in the future.

I have read quite a few scanned pdf books on Sony Prs T1, but even though Prs T1 is usually good for zooming Pdf's in landscape mode on its own, i would often crop margins and print out pdf in landscape mode ( approx. 12x9 cm) beforehand by using apps on my laptop before transfering such formated pdf to Prs T1.

Reading textual pdf's (not scanned) even in A4 format is not problem if there is reflow capability but reflow is not always perfect for pictures or is slower, so margin cropping and landscape mode was again better solution to me for smaller formats.

We can usually nicely reflow A4 scanned or textual pdf's for 6" screens using k2pdfopt app.

http://www.willus.com/k2pdfopt/
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...144711&page=25

Last edited by markom; 03-28-2013 at 05:13 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote