View Single Post
Old 11-20-2011, 06:00 PM   #66
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
The only problem I have had with the Fire is that I cannot easily restrict the purchase of content by users. Amazon has been patient as I experimented (refunding every inadvertent purchase) and claims to be working on an update that will address the problem...
Quote:
At this time we do not have a way of preventing anyone from making purchases on your Kindle Fire while they are using your device. You can set a password on the device itself that locks it, but it will prevent anyone from accessing it.

This is something that our Developers are working on so that all purchases would require a password or pin number. I have submitted your information and request as well to them and I hope in the next update for the Kindle Fire this will be made available.
I'm going to give them a pass on this and rate this decice, on a scale of 1 to 10 an...eleven.

Need to start with the price. It IS a BIG deal. $200 is the right price for a tablet. People have been trying to sell tablets at prices comparable to the iPad and it hasn't worked. Only an Apple fanboy would pay that much for an entertainment device. Amazon figured out how to make these things for the same money as Nintendo and Sony get for their entertainment devices. I can give one to each kid instead of hovering over kids waiting for a turn to play missle command. That's a big deal and I AM going to buy four of these.

It's the right size. I have been playing with handheld computers since the Newton. I feel like Goldilocks -- to small to use or too big to carry. This 7" screen is just right. It slips into my back pocket easily (yeah gorilla glass), feels like a paperback in portrait mode, and is big enough for web browsing or watching a movie in landscape orientation.

It's ready to use right out of the box. Open it, charge it, start your prime trial, install some games, download some books, and watch a movie. A very nontechnical person can enjoy the Fire as Amazon intended.

It's versatile. For those with a little technical ability, the Fire can do just about anything. It's been rooted. People are runnig a nook app on it. Someone is running Win 3.11. I'm streaming movies from my PC using eMIT. What can't this thing do?

Most important, it does all of these things well. The screen is beautiful and battery life is generous. I get the interface paradigm -- reminds me of the Win7 Start Menu with it's pinned favorites and recent apps and docs.

The app store is amazing and simple to use. There are lots of high quality apps and media and lots of free stuff. You can buy a Fire then never spend another penny. For $79/year, you can watch unlimited TV and movies.

If you do not like Amazon's offerings, move on. The fire runs apps for competitor's products. I enjoy Netflix and Barnes and Noble content on my Fire. I can also install unapproved apps (at my own risk).

I love the internet radio and newstand apps. For a few dollars, I can run very capable office apps on my Fire. The kids love the games. We've installed math, SAT, and spanish apps. I found an app to help me tie knots when my boy scout is at school and another one to help me sign to a deaf kid.

Cameras and GPS hardware would be nice. Better parental controls would be welcome. Complain all you like. This is an amazing piece of hardware that anyone can afford to buy and own. Well done Amazon!
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote