View Single Post
Old 08-27-2006, 01:26 PM   #1
verbosus
Unicoder
verbosus began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
Newspaper to iLiad

(Before I start: I originally sent this as a private email to TadW, Matt Jadud and TomBolini, then TadW suggested reposting it here. He also mentioned the Sitescooper project, which I’ll be sure to check out right away).

I just finished another hack you guys might be interested in.

Basically it’s a shell script that downloads the contents of a mobile version of a newspaper, in this case the Italian La Repubblica, does a bit of cleanup and copies the contents over the the iLiad’s “newspapers” folder, for convenient offline reading. Currently it works on my Mac, and assumes you have wget and growlnotify (which is a command line client to the Growl notification system) installed on your machine under /usr/local/bin

I have set it up so that when I plug in my iLiad, through an app called Do Something When I fire a custom (one-liner) AppleScript app that fires up this script and updates my iLiad. The content of this one-liner AppleScript app is: do shell script "~/bin/repubblica-iliad.sh"

I’ve posted the source code to the shell script and the custom icon I created for that newspaper.

The shell script assumes you’ve copied it in ~/lib/misc, but you can tweak the paths as needed.

Of course this is not very useful in itself if you don’t happen to like Italian newspapers :-p

But with a bit of tweaking it should be a start in developing something geared towards your favourite newspaper.

I’m attaching also two pictures of the results as shown on the iLiad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0347.jpg
Views:	656
Size:	423.9 KB
ID:	1464   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0348.jpg
Views:	802
Size:	440.5 KB
ID:	1465  

Last edited by verbosus; 08-31-2006 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Fixed missing quote
verbosus is offline   Reply With Quote