View Single Post
Old 07-09-2014, 12:27 AM   #3
Doranwen
Enthusiast
Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none, sadly, they all died
I've used Calibre quite a bit--but pdfs, especially ones with any pics in them, do not convert nicely. So I'm wondering if anyone's had experience with some of the larger-sized e-readers--or tablets, even (he doesn't need the extra features but I'm sure he'd find a way to use them).

Color isn't essential (he's not reading children's storybooks on there)--but I think larger size might be, and being able to display the pdfs in original formatting, including any charts or photos, would be important. He won't be reading textbooks or newspapers (so no 2-column stuff), but he likes a lot of history books, and they often have photos of the people or locations, maps, etc., sprinkled throughout. I don't see a ton of charts in the one I'm looking at but I know at least one of the books has them.

Noted about the Nook! Yeah, I noticed that--my grandma got one, and I was annoyed that there wasn't as much space to put on the books she wanted me to. (And I thought it would be an improvement over the Kindle because I really didn't want to convert all my books to mobi--their preferred format at the time--because most of them were originally epubs anyway.) Oh well. That's long done.

Thankfully all of the pdfs that he'd want that I've looked at are not two-column, just regular books that happen to be in pdf format. I'd convert if it weren't my experience that converting pdf usually looked pretty bad when done (readable, but atrocious formatting looks). Maybe it's gotten better? I haven't really tried. My e-reader will show pics in pdfs but omits them entirely in epubs, so that's even worse. (But then most of the books I read are not pdf.)
Doranwen is offline   Reply With Quote