View Single Post
Old 11-27-2013, 01:58 PM   #10
DaveGadgeteer
DaveGadgeteer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle on iPhone
Looking for hints and shortcuts!

I just got my SV600, and am using it with an iMac on OS X.9 Mavericks with no major problems.
The autoupdate isn't working--there are hints that one has to install the auto update software, but I haven't been able to find any for the Mac, so one just has to check the website and reinstall as needed. There's already been one update since my initial download.

It seems to be doing a good job, but it takes more clicking around than I like for finger removal. As far as I can tell so far, one has to preview the book images, then select the finger removal tool, then click on the finger, then drag one corner of the region to cover the finger shadow as needed, then click Apply, then scroll and click on the next page, then select the finger removal tool again, etc. Oh, one can remove multiple fingers per Apply, too. But note that if you select two finger regions that overlap, they won't be removed properly--each will smear in the color of the other, rather than just merging the two regions as it should. So it is better to drag the one finger region to enlarge it to cover the second finger too, then it works right. Does a nice job.

So, I'd like keyboard shortcuts for selecting the next page and the finger removal tool, then you choose the finger region, then shortcut for Apply, next image, choose finger removal, etc. That would make the process a lot smoother, just the necessary clicks and not all the click click click it takes now.

Another thing I haven't figured out yet is how it knows when you turn a page. If I turn the page right after the scan beam goes away, it doesn't see it, but if I wait a little longer, until the head has gone quiet again, then it usually does. But sometimes it doesn't, and then it seems if I wave my hand under the head it counts that as a page turn. It might be faster just to hit the scan button each time, but I'm not sure yet. It's nice that the scan button is wide, so you can use either hand.

I think it would be interesting to wear white gloves to see if that eliminates the need for finger removal. Likely the shadows would be a problem though. Maybe some flat white paddles with rubbery surface to not slip on the paper? It would save time if one didn't have to do the finger removal.

Someday the software ought to be smart enough to recognize fingers and remove them by itself... it seems a manageable recognition problem.

Finally, I'm looking for a Forum where people discuss topics like this, and I found only this one. Does anyone know of a more active discussion place?
DaveGadgeteer is offline   Reply With Quote