Thread: JBPatch
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 10:04 AM   #964
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Thanks for the log. There actually are 3 different issues - but they're most likely all caused by the same problem - namely that the device somehow screws up, becomes laggy, and possibly eventually even crashes.

This is *not* caused by the jailbreak, JBPatch, or any other mods, and can also happen on completely unmodified devices. I suspect it's because of some bug in cvm - yes, I've seen the VM crash with a core dump multiple times. Another possibility is that the device is simply extremely busy (usually right after startup) and can't cope with all the parallel tasks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mano42 View Post
Task exceeded maximum duration of 5000 MILLISECONDS
This is the best "proof" for my theory above. In fact, the *only* thing that the Kindlet initially does is display some centered text. All other initialization is done in a background thread. And if it takes more than 5 seconds to initialize a page that only shows one line of text, then clearly there is something wrong with the framework.

BTW, here is the source code of the Kindlet, if you want to verify my claims: https://bitbucket.org/ixtab/jbpatche...java?at=master

Quote:
java.lang.IllegalStateException: KOptionPane dialogs cannot be displayed when their parent or the root container is not showing.
at com.amazon.kindle.kindlet.ui.KOptionPane.tcb(abc:1 607)
at com.amazon.kindle.kindlet.ui.KOptionPane.showMessa geDialog(abc:1287)
at com.amazon.kindle.kindlet.ui.KOptionPane.showMessa geDialog(abc:628)
at com.mobileread.ixtab.jbpatch.ui.kindlet.JBPatchKin dlet.initUiAfterSplash(Unknown Source)
This is also weird, because I explicitly check that the container is valid and visible *before* the initUiAfterSplash() method. But I'll check the code again, maybe there is yet another flag to check. In any case, even *trying* to display a message dialog means that something went wrong during the initialization.
Quote:
java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.io.FilePermission /var/local/jbpatch/com.mobileread.ixtab.jbpatch.ui.kindlet.JBPatchUI-en_US.txt read)
at java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission (Compiled Method)(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.checkPermission(Com piled Method)(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPermission(Compiled Method)(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkRead(Compiled Method)(Unknown Source)
at java.io.File.exists(Compiled Method)(Unknown Source)
at com.mobileread.ixtab.jbpatch.resources.JBPatchReso urce.loadOrCreateFile(Unknown Source)
at com.mobileread.ixtab.jbpatch.resources.Localizatio nResource.<init>(Unknown Source)
at com.mobileread.ixtab.jbpatch.resources.JBPatchReso urce.getResource(Unknown Source)
at com.mobileread.ixtab.jbpatch.ui.kindlet.JBPatchUI. localize(Unknown Source)
at com.mobileread.ixtab.jbpatch.ui.kindlet.JBPatchUI. init(Unknown Source)
at com.mobileread.ixtab.jbpatch.ui.kindlet.JBPatchKin dlet.initUiAfterSplash(Unknown Source)
... which indicates that the even though the (Kindlet) jailbreak was presumably applied correctly and got all required permissions, it actually didn't get those permissions.
Quote:

After I restarted the PW, (the file was deleted), I could not open jbpach again (same error), so I copied back the jar file, and then jbpach opened flawlessly. Since then all is working again...
You actually found the solution #1 for most problems: reboot the Kindle. The second part of the solution is to let it sit for a minute or two after it started up, because there is still quite some initialization going on in the background. You may have simply run out of processing power - which would explain the 'couldn't start within 5 seconds' thing, and quite possibly all the other oddities.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote