View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013, 07:05 AM   #1
CJY
Zealot
CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Onyx Boox M92
M92 broken - again?

This morning, my screen stopped being responsive, i.e. it now constantly show the same image - and a bad one at that.

The reason I write about it here is that this is the third (!) time this has happened within a year and a half.
Now I am beginning to worry about the cost of repeatedly shipping this unit back to Booxtor... it shall end up costing me more than the unit itself, and I cannot keep paying this 're-activation fee'; and if this keeps happening every half year, well, my warranty shall run out.

Here are the symptoms (throughout which the screen stays the same - see image.):

* Browsing yesterday, used the back button, gave this screen.
* Can switch off the unit holding the button down. Light come on a while
* Can switch the unit back on, light come on for some 10 secs.
* Tried reset, no difference.
* Tried charging again (unit was charged almost fully when this happened, though).
* Tried hitting the screen refresh button on-screen (where I know it should be); no reaction.
* The screen does not appear physically broken in any way.
I always - and only - keep the unit on my bedside table, always in the cover, and there is no misuse, bad treatments, drops onto the floor, or any other abused. Short of keeping it in cotton wool and not using it, it could not have been more carefully treated.

I welcome any thoughts you might have, both on the current technical issue, but also on the bigger picture (e.g. do I junk this and buy something else, or...).

Also, I would like to hear Booxtor's thoughts on this. I do see a few other complaints here about what looks to be the same issue, so could there be a faulty batch (I ordered one of the early ones).
Or maybe you keep repairing the 'symptom' while there is an underlying issue that causes this?
As I remarked last time, we cannot keep doing this dance every half year. It costs me - and presumably you too - money I am less and less inclined to spend on this, and I am beginning to be a very unhappy customer with this unit. (Can you blame me? Another summer vacation where I have to revert to paper books!)

Thanks.
CJY
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m92_screen.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	107361  

Last edited by CJY; 06-26-2013 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Image issues.
CJY is offline   Reply With Quote