View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 12:59 AM   #34
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Actually bootleg LPs were (and as CDs/mp3s etc are still) a thriving sub-culture and had nothing to do with "rich toffs" but people recording live performances, getting hold of studio recordings and access to mixing decks at live shows... these were then mastered, pressed and sold like the record companies did but on a smaller scale... and they weren't cheap but usually came in at the high-end of LP pricing... many rapidly became collectables and are worth a lot of money now whilst others were later released by artists such as Dylan... lot of this sounds familiar with some of the stuff going on these days... and was about as legal with some people getting caught by court action etc...

I did see the huge number of bootlegs cassettes that flooded Flea Markets and later bootlegs CDs - but never vinyl.

I am someone who was once half owner (financed a sibling into it) of a Music Store (seventies) and who has collected several thousand LPs over several decades - often from Flea Markets, thrift shops and classified ads - but have never been offered bootleg vinyl. Bootleg cassettes, and CD/DVDs yes, but never LPs. The production costs for a short run would kill any potential profit.

I am not disputing that they existed - out of China and Russia certainly, but they were so rare that a dedicated collector like myself has never seen one.
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote