Thread: True Crime
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2012, 09:39 PM   #9
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher, about the Road Hill House murder in Victorian England
Read on your recommendation. Most of the way through I thought there was too much attention given to novels that ripped their plots out of Road Hill House murder newspaper stories, and not enough given to the real people involved.

This seemed to me to be a story of a truly bad person transformed into a reasonably good one by, of all things, the Church of England. Author Kate Summerscale lets us see this embarrassing blow against her nasty-Victorian-society theme, while shying away from the implications.

As often happens, the author does wins me over in the last few chapters.

Quote:
And don't forget Truman Capote's classic, In Cold Blood, about the murder of the Clutter family in Kansas.
I guess I should read this one of these years, but isn't that untrue crime? According to Wikipedia, Capote interviewed people without tape recorder or taking notes. Then he produced copious direct quotations, in the book, that the subjects understandably deny having said.
SteveEisenberg is online now   Reply With Quote