Thread: Sigil v0.1.6
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2009, 09:00 AM   #43
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_ronin View Post
I did. I read through it until my brain broke, and I even scanned through the source file on your page. Unfortunately, neither of these sources are explicit about the values, it's all inferred. The DC-HTML-2008 version spends a lot of time discussing things like "literal-value surrogates" and the like. It's as if there's an entire organization there for librarians with Aspberger's.
It's a bit dry, isn't it?

Quote:
But if you could answer this question: where are you storing values like "Author", "Editor", etc., for tags that have refinements (as they're referred to in the 2003 spec?)

Is it

Code:
<meta name="DC.creator.author" content="Edgar Rice Burroughs" />
or

Code:
<meta name="DC.creator.aut" content="Edgar Rice Burroughs" />
or is it something else (like role="aut"), and are you supporting all the MARC relator codes?
It's "DC.creator.aut". And yes, all the MARC relator codes are supported. All 200+.

Quote:
Similarly, what time/date events are you supporting, and how to code them? ie: what values are being used? There are different values in different sources and examples:

Code:
<meta name="DC.date.published" content="1912" />
or

Code:
<meta name="DC.date.publication" content="1912" />
"issued" (for publication), "created" (for creation) and "modified" (for modification) are currently supported. I have just added support for "published" (again for publication).

The DC people are not programmers and I doubt a single one was consulted during the process of creating that spec so it's highly ambiguous. So Kevin (who contributed the code) smartly chose to follow the conventions used in that document. So the date events are past tense verbs, not nouns.

I'll make Sigil choose either, so you'll be able to use nouns too. But only for publication, creation and modification. Those are the only event dates supported, since those are the ones the epub spec mentions. Everything else is completely arbitrary and thus not supported.

Last edited by Valloric; 12-26-2009 at 09:17 AM.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote