Thread: Sigil v0.1.6
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2009, 04:05 PM   #40
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nokia 770 (fbreader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
If you saw the issue, you should have also seen my comment pointing to the official Dublin Core page specifying the format of the metadata entries: Expressing Dublin Core metadata using HTML/XHTML meta and link elements.

All DC metadata entries the epub spec supports should be supported.
I did. I read through it until my brain broke, and I even scanned through the source file on your page. Unfortunately, neither of these sources are explicit about the values, it's all inferred. The DC-HTML-2008 version spends a lot of time discussing things like "literal-value surrogates" and the like. It's as if there's an entire organization there for librarians with Aspberger's.

I'll take another look today. And I'll try to extract a list for others to use.

A basic meta tag, such as:

Code:
<meta name="DC.title" content="A Princess of Mars" />
seems pretty straight-forward.

But if you could answer this question: where are you storing values like "Author", "Editor", etc., for tags that have refinements (as they're referred to in the 2003 spec?)

Is it

Code:
<meta name="DC.creator.author" content="Edgar Rice Burroughs" />
or

Code:
<meta name="DC.creator.aut" content="Edgar Rice Burroughs" />
or is it something else (like role="aut"), and are you supporting all the MARC relator codes?

Similarly, what time/date events are you supporting, and how to code them? ie: what values are being used? There are different values in different sources and examples:

Code:
<meta name="DC.date.published" content="1912" />
or

Code:
<meta name="DC.date.publication" content="1912" />
etc. The ePub metadata layout is XML, and it's pretty clear about where and how to stash the data. Values are clearly defined. The problem with the XHTML meta tags is in what the 2003 spec called "refinements". Just looking for some guidance on that.

Using the <link> tag is beyond me at the moment.

Thanks for reading,

m a r
rogue_ronin is offline   Reply With Quote