View Single Post
Old 07-07-2009, 09:39 AM   #1
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Download App Needed - Esp. for DX

1. OK - the 2 biggest complaints/deficiencies for the DX (and the K2) are lack of folders and loss of SD card storage. These problems escalated with the DX because of the added PDF support - which encouraged folks to load up their DX with personal docs and periodicals- with no way to sort/find things.

2. Some services have developed apps to put on the Kindles (Mobile Read & Feedbooks come to mind) that allow folks to directly download books onto the K without the need for a USB cable.

3. Online storage services like Sugarsync (which does have a mobile interface for phones) and DropBox would provide a means to:
a. Unlimited storage of as many docs & books as needed - 2G free, then pay for storage.
b. Ability to organize docs & books into folders!

BUT - if you try to access SugarSync via their mobile app (https://m.sugarsync.com/login), you can see your docs but cannot download them - regardless of their format, you get the Amazon error message that the Kindle does not support the download of this format. (See thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50095 for details). Only docs in HTML format are viewable.

SO - can someone write an app (like the Mobile Read or Feedbooks apps) that would allow one to access & download files from their online Sugarsync account onto their DX? IMHO this would address both outstanding problems for the K2 and DX. I suggest an app, rather than a hack, since most folks would be more comfortable loading an app than risk bricking their Kindle.

I'm not a programmer, so if anyone can enlighten me on why this can't happen, I would appreciate it. Better yet, anyone want to give it a shot?
I can't see how this would violate any Amazon policies - just replace the USB cable loading with Whispernet, unless the issue of charging for file size would enter in.

poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote